Can you solve algorithmic programming challenges, efficiently and correctly, in practice, as a team, under time pressure?
The contest is now over! Many thanks to all participants, and congratulations to the winners!
You can find photos from the event on Storify, or you can check the hashtag #HIITopen on Twitter.
If you missed the contest: there is a virtual online contest with the same problem set. The contest takes 5 hours, and you can start it whenever you want.
Game of Nolife — solved 9/12 tasks:
- Tuukka Korhonen (University of Helsinki)
- Otte Heinävaara (University of Helsinki)
- Olli Hirviniemi (University of Helsinki)
Ace of Spades — solved 8/12 tasks, total time 594 minutes:
- Janne Junnila (University of Helsinki)
- Tommi Pesu (Imperial College)
- Kalle Luopajärvi (Seinäjoki upper secondary school)
Noname 01 — solved 8/12 tasks, total time 951 minutes:
- Ilya Nikolaevskiy (Aalto University)
- Khaled Gamal Abdelnaser (German University in Cairo)
- open to everyone
- for teams of up to 3 members
- 5 hours time
- about 10 algorithmic programming challenges to solve
- virtual online contest with the same problems available from Sunday, 29 May 2016
Time & Place
The contest takes place on Saturday, 28 May 2016 in the Computer Science building, Konemiehentie 2, Espoo.
- 10:00: doors open
- 11:00: contest starts
- 16:00: contest ends
Please arrive by 10:30.
The contest is open to everyone, including university students, high-school students, university researchers, and teams from companies.
We will mostly follow the same rules as in the NCPC. In brief:
- each team has 1–3 members
- you can bring any written material with you, but no electronic material
- you can only use the computers, programming environments, and online documentation provided by the organisers
- there is only one computer per team
- printing is possible
- no internet access, no web browsing, no email, no chat, no mobile phones, etc.
The CSES contest system will be used in HIIT Open 2016. The system automatically evaluates the solutions submitted for the tasks.
You can test the contest system beforehand at cses.fi. At the moment, there is a practice contest running with some old tasks.
The submission system supports the following languages and compilers:
- C++ compiler:
4.8.4, with the flags
-std=c++11 -O2 -Wall
- Java compiler: Oracle
- Scala compiler: version
- Python 2 and 3 interpreters
However, please note that there is no guarantee that e.g. Python or Scala implementations can be made efficient enough to solve all tasks — all languages have the same time limits, and they are chosen based on the performance of a reasonably efficient C++ implementation.
We will use normal Linux computers, which will have the following programming tools installed:
- Editors and IDEs:
g++ 4.6.4 and 4.8.1,
Oracle Java 1.8.0_92,
- Programming tools:
There is no registration fee — the event is made possible with support from HIIT and Aalto University.
Registration has been closed now, and unfortunately we do cannot accept more participants any more at this point.
We have got 13 teams participating in the contest:
- Noname 01: Ilya Nikolaevskiy, Khaled Gamal Abdelnaser
- Anonyymit Algoritmistit: Atte Juvonen, Chang Rajani, Paul Saikko
- Oispa Kaljaa: Pietari Kaskela
- Acute Triangels: Arafa Mahmood, Beata Saikko, Liliana Zuga-Divre
- Game of Nolife: Tuukka Korhonen, Otte Heinävaara, Olli Hirviniemi
- Barely Div 1: Jani Kettunen, Jarno Alanko, Joonas Pihlajamaa
- Team Purkka: Juha Harviainen, Iikka Hauhio, Petrus Asikainen
- Ace of Spades: Janne Junnila, Tommi Pesu, Kalle Luopajärvi
- Verto: Eric Malmi, Marko Rasa
- zah: Siiri Kuoppala, Ilari Kuoppala, Laura Saarhelo
- LTR: Ivan, Petrus Rimpiläinen, Joonas Lipping
- Spitfire: Tuomas Lappeteläinen, Edouard Bouvet
- ContinuedLife: Yang Zhao, Yangjun Wang, Peng Wang
Our participants come from at least 6 different universities or universities of applied sciences and 3 different high schools, and we have also participants from the industry.
- Jukka Suomela (contact person)
- Tommi Junttila
- Ari Korhonen
- Antti Laaksonen
- Teemu Sirkiä
- Mikko Sysikaski
- Topi Talvitie